Ithailed yesterday. After a week of complaining about how it rained almost every day, mother naturedelivered this . Just her sweet way of saying shut up.
We’re having a rainy Sunday Supper table here, which doesn´t bother me at all since we’re having cake. Still warm, with chunks offruit inside, walnuts and chocolate chips on top. Another very good coffee cakerecipe to add to my collection. Full of flavor, simple and kid-friendly. Wrap it up and put it in your kid´s lunchbox.
This cake came out surprisingly good. First I thoughtmy cake tin would be too big, and then my batter curdled like crazy, even afterthe last batch of flour was added. Curdled batters make me feel very dumb, likehow can I still get those after a million years baking coffee cakes? I make myown puff pastry but I can´t get a cake batter not to curdle? There wasnothing else to do but pop it into the oven and wait.
Though it would’ve been better to use a square pannext time, mainly because I think round pans are for tall cakes, but that’s justone of my little baking obsessions. Cut into squares this cake is just theperfect snack or take-to-the-office type of coffee cake. You will be thanked.
I changed the original recipe a bit by adding spices,a different fruit, walnuts and choco chips. The base batter lends itself tothat, it practically begs you to try a different combination every time. Withonly one piece of fruit per recipe, this can pretty much be the ideal cake touse when you have one lonely fruit rolling around in your fridge.
If you have afresh peach try this with just cinnamon. I would if I could get my hands onsome kind of summery stone fruit. But I can’t, it’s winter still. And stillraining. Can you believe it? A whole rainy week. The nerve.
At least I stillhave some chocolate scones. And now a pear and chocolate coffee cake. Prettygood in the end.
I cut my pear in medium chunks. It results in a bettercontrast of smooth crumb and tender fruit when you bite into it. And if you,like me, don´t wait until it´s completely cool and dive your fork into a warmpiece of cake, the chocolate will still be soft, like in a warm chocolate chipcookie. Wonderful.
PEAR CHOCO WALNUT COFFEE CAKE
Note: if you can´t find wholewheat flour use 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour.
For the topping:
¼ cupgranulated Sugar
1teaspoon ground Cinnamon
¼ cupwalnuts, chopped
For the Coffee Cake:
8Tbs (115g) unsalted butter, room tº
1cup all purpose flour
¼ cupsuperfine whole wheat flour
2teaspoons baking powder
1/8teaspoon ground ginger
Pinchof ground allspice
1/3cup granulated sugar
1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3cup whole milk
1 largepear, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
¼ cupchocolate chips
For the topping mix allingredients in small bowl and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375ºF/180ºC
Grease a 8-inch (23cm) roundbaking pan.
Place the flour, baking,powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Set aside.
Place the sugar and butter ina medium sized bowl and using an electric mixer beat them until fluffy, about 3minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time andthen add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and the milk alternatively in about2 batches of each, beating after each addition until almost incorporated. Atthe end you still want to see streaks of flour and milk.
Using a wooden spoon, fold inthe pear until everything is just combined. Pour mixture in prepared pan,spreading evenly. Sprinkle the cinnamon walnut sugar over the top, and finallythe chocolate chips.
Bake until golden brown and atoothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Let the cake cool in the panon a wire rack.
Easy Breakfast ideas:
· Hawaiian Scrambled Eggs Cupcakes & Kale Chips
· Scrambled Eggs with sausage and fresh herbs by Basic n Delicious
· Breakfast Wraps by Magnolia Days
· Scrambled Eggs with Herb Croutons Comfy Cuisine
· Scrambled Eggs for Preschoolers In the Kitchen withAudrey
· Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap by Meal Planning Magic
· California Chicken Wraps by Momma’s Meals
· Chicken, Hummus, and sautéed Vegetable Wraps by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
· Grilled Roast Beef Wraps with Horseradish Mayo by Juanita’s Cocina
· Mesquite Turkey, Mango and Pepper Jack Wraps by Shockingly Delicious
· California Wraps by Daily Dish Recipes
Easy Weekday Suppers:
· Garlic Lemon Rosemary Roasted Chicken by Supper for a Steal
· Kebab Chicken & Grilled Veggie Wraps with TahiniSauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
· Fresh mozzarella Pasta Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
· Choose Your Topping Grilled Pizza by In the Kitchen with KP
· Yum Yum Salmon Quesadillas by Family Foodie
After School Snacks:
· Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares by Girlichef
· Fudgy One-Pot Raspberry Cocoa Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
· Fudgy One-Pot Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
· Pear Choco Walnut Coffee Cake by Vintage Kitchen Notes
· Peach Clafoutis by The Messy Baker Blog
We will besharing great family recipes all day and want you to share yours with us! Join usat 7pm ET for our #SundaySupper Chat with Katie Workman. Follow us ontwitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We loveto feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and sharethem with all our followers.
· Connect with Katie Workman, Author of The Mom 100 Cookbook:
· The Mom 100 blog Katie shares recipes, tips and inspiration.
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katieworkman100
· Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/katieworkman100
· Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/katieworkman100
· Website: www.themom100.com
· Buy The Mom 100 Cookbook