Of course not, especially since the last days have been amazingly sunny and warm.
Since the strawberries at the market were surprisingly sweet and fat, I decided to make my grandmother’s strawberry pie. It’s simple but full of flavor and has a delightful syrup on top made with the strawberries’ own juices.
But before we eat our strawberry pie for dessert, we have to get the holiday started with something to drink. Enter the clericó, or white sangria. I used that name to get you interested. Here, sangria is made with red wine, sugar and fruit. When white wine is used it’s called clericó.
This light colored version was so popular in the 80’s, I don’t think there’s one of us from that neon clothing, big hair, shoulder padded era that didn’t drink it. Especially during the summer, after a long day at the beach. You would go to the beach bar and order a large jar of clericó to share with friends. Some of us would only munch at the fruit (banana pieces my absolute favorite), which got me into trouble anyway, because, after a while, the fruit would be soaked in a lot of wine.
strawberry tart and chocolate cake.
- ½ recipe Pate Sablée see recipe here
- 1 pound strawberries cleaned and sliced thick
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tbs cold water
- ¾ cup cream
- 3 Tbs mascarpone
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Mint leaves for garnish
- 1 banana
- ½ red apple
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 orange unpeeled
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 bottle dry white wineIce cubes cold club soda might be used
- Roll and line a square or round 8 inch (23 cm) pie or tart plate with removable bottom.
- Prick the bottom dough and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF /180ºC.
- Line the tart pan with aluminum foil and beans or pie weights, and bake for 15/20 minutes.
- Remove the foil carefully and continue baking 10 to 15 minutes until the dough is fully baked.
- Let cool completely on wire rack. Unmold and transfer to serving plate.
- For the filling: Before you start rolling the dough, put the sliced strawberries together with the sugar in a bowl.
- Cover and let marinate at room tº, at least 2 hours. If leaving the mixture more than a few hours keep it refrigerated.
- When you're ready to assemble the tart, pour the liquid from the strawberries in a small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until reduced to half a cup, about 5 minutes.
- In a small cup put cold water and sprinkle gelatin over. Let hydrate a few minutes.
- Add to the hot, reduced strawberry syrup that has been removed from the heat, and mix until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Let this mixture cool in the fridge until it begins to thicken. Don't let it set.
- Beat the cold cream and mascarpone together with powdered sugar until thick.
- Spread this mixture evenly on bottom of cooled crust. Scatter marinated strawberries on top and then carefully add the cold strawberry gelatin mixture with a spoon. It might or might not cover the whole surface.
- Let the cake set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, garnish with mint leaves and serve.
- Slice the orange, the banana and the apple.
- Put them in a jar together with the rest of the fruit.
- Add sugar and then half the bottle of white wine.
- With a wooden spoon, mix everything well. Add the rest of the wine and ice cubes.
- Pour wine into glasses and serve. Keep refrigerated.
Labor Day Cookout Recipes:
Starters & Snacks
Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken by Cooking Underwriter
Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
Frozen Sangria by Supper For a Steal
Persian mint & cucumber cooler (sekanjabeen) by Family Spice
Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies by In the Kitchen with KP
Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ