Would youconsider coming to a birthday where these soft pretzels with spicy beer cheesesauce are served? Even though said pretzels are not as soft, but just amazing-tasting, as the titleimplies they should be? And if that´s the case and you want to have options, and Itell you there are more than sixty other alternatives to choose from, would youcome?
The Sunday Supper table, the wonderful group lead by Isabel and made up of amazing bloggers that got me ankle deep into this magic world of food blogging, is celebrating it´s birthday number 1 with a party! And really,you would be crazy not to come. After all, this is like the party that sums theusual party we have every Sunday, with a list of recipes taken from pastevents, each being made as is or with whatever modifications, byanother fellow sunday supperer. Sort of a greatest hits album.
I made upmy mind pretty quickly about choosing this recipe from Heather of Girlichef. She is afriend and an oh-so-talented baker. And baking is my thing.
Even if right nowyou´re thinking these pretzels don´t scream that baking is my thing, becausethey are not plump enough or soft enough, though how can you know how soft theyare if you can´t touch them, but I can also tell they are not as soft as theyshould, baking is my thing.
The recipeis very straightforward and comes together quickly. I think I should´ve addedmore flour while kneading it. Rookie mistake.
I decidedto do it in two batches, sort of a first batch to practice on. I´m glad I did,and you should be glad too since those first pretzels were too big, hardlypretzel-shaped, not golden enough and very unphotogenic. Oh, but they tastedgood. Just like a salted pretzel should.
The secondtry came out as good as I can hope for given the fact that it´s my first timeand don´t usually eat pretzels, except when I travel to NYC and think havingone with mustard from a street cart to be an unavoidable thing to do in thatcity. Pretzels are not known here, they might be sold somewhere but I haven´tbumped into them yet.
And I made six instead of four, and that obviously didn´t contribute to the plump factor, more like a squalid newborn than a pudgy michelin look alike.
As with anyyeast dough that needs to be shaped, from a simple brioche a tete to a braided danish, practice is all you need. Don´t expect your first pretzel to be perfect.A food blog comes in quite handy on that matter, because when I´m baking a newrecipe I will try again and again until I have something that is worthy of apicture, though it might not be exactly what I want it will definitely be post worthy.
I made thepretzels following the original recipe, and changed the sauce just a bit tosuit the fact that I was by myself and didn´t want to make another trip to the supermarket nor have a lot of extra sauce lying around.
These are so addictive with that perfect dipping sauce that´s almost like a spicy fondue, having so much of it would´ve meant havingsoft pretzels with spicy beer cheese sauce for every meal two days in a row,and I still want to fit in my bikini the rest of the summer. And I´m trying to eathealthier. Ha.
SOFT PRETZELS (find recipe here)
SPICY BEER CHEESE SAUCE
½ cup beer(I used Stella Artois)
2 Tbs sourcream
2 teaspoonsminced pickled jalapeños
1 cupgrated Gruyere cheese, loosely packed
1 garlicclove, peeled and cut in half
Salt andblack pepper
Heat beerin small saucepan. When it starts to bubble, add rest of ingredients and whiskuntil well combined. Let boil for 1 minute and serve with warm pretzels.
Ready toget inspired by our birthday recipes?
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups andBreads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspiredby Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspiredby Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspiredby My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspiredby The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspiredby The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauceby Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspiredby Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspiredby Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspiredby Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspiredby Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspiredby Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chickenby Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspiredby From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet ChiliSauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspiredby Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspiredby The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspiredby Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans &Rice by Catholic Foodie inspiredby The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsaby The Urban Mrs. inspiredby Family Foodie
- Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s CocinaSkillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro &Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts andSnacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- CinnamonApple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspiredby Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzleby Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspiredby That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspiredby Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspiredby Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspiredby That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauceby Vintage Kitchen inspiredby girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg,and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZWine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter eachSunday. We tweetthroughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chatstarts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun.
Would you like to join the SundaySupper Movement? It’seasy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.