I think the main pointers for having amazing fudgy easy cocoa brownies is to use a good unsweetened cocoa powder (an obvious statement but it should be said), and take them out at the right time from the oven, when the top is slightly puffed and dry, but barely jiggly. You know, like most brownies.
Other than that, you can have a guaranteed success. And a new favourite recipe. Nuts are optional.
- 10 Tbs (150g) unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups (250g) sugar
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (70g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- ½ cup (70g) all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325ºF / 170ºC. Line a 8-inch square pan with parchment or alumni paper.
- Melt butter in a large bowl, preferably glass, in the microwave or over simmering water.
- Add sugar, cocoa, salt and vanilla extract and mix with a hand beater until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat vigorously until very well mixed.
- Add flour and mix 40 times with the hand beater.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a tester comes out with some moist crumbs attached. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Unmold, cut into squares and serve. You can sift some powdered sugar on top if you want.
barely adapted from Smitten Kitchen