Have you ever had a pouring of bourbon in your hot chocolate? I have, many times. What started as an extra something in my coffee (mainly Baileys, which has whisky of course) found it’s way into my hot chocolate, which is dark and not too sugary.
So for today’s Bundt Bakers’ theme, hosted by my friend Tara of Noshing with the Nolands, this bourbon hot chocolate bundt cake was the perfect fit.
Bourbon sounds so manly, to be drank neat while sitting on a dark brown leather chair.
Or not. It turns our that it works in a double chocolate bundt cake too. Ha, who knew.
In case you’re harbouring any doubts, his is the chocolate cake with bourbon you’ve been looking for your whole life. In case you hadn’t thought of baking a cake which included both chocolate and bourbon, then this is the chocolate cake with bourbon you’ve been looking for your whole life. Because it rocks so badly, you can’t avoid it any longer.
I’ve made it so many times I lost count. It’s so good, I’m able to trade favors for this cake.
Need I talk again about the magic that happens when booze is added to cakes? Maybe I should. Maybe it’s always good to remember. Because the flavour that a liqueur or wine or beer or any other boozy liquid adds to a cake is unlike any other flavouring.
Chocolate cakes are apt for so so so many different combinations. What doesn’t go well with chocolate I have to ask? Chocolate black pepper loaf, chocolate white bean cake (GF), chocolate potato cake…
So the bourbon is in the hot chocolate cake. It’s baked. The glaze is then poured on.
Oh, this glaze.
Five days and it was still awesome. Both the cake and the glaze I might add.
How is your November coming along?
Here in Buenos Aires we’re having a weird spring. Basically, the weather does whatever the hell it wants. Hot days, cold days, tropical rains. We can’t even count on the weather is an old and popular saying here.
But you can count on this bourbon hot chocolate bundt cake to rock your kitchen and the rest of the recipes from this wonderful Bundt Bakers group. See the list below and start baking!.
- 1 cup (225g) unsalted butter
- 4.5oz (125g) semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (45g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (280g) cake or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room tº
- 2 cups (400g) regular sugar
- 1 cup (250g) sour cream
- ¾ cup (180ml) bourbon (I use Jim Bean)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) cream
- 2oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2oz milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- Chocolate nibs, to decorate, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC
- Spray or butter a large bundt cake pan. Sprinkle with fine breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- In a medium bowl, melt chocolate and butter (in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring well after each one until just melted). Add the cocoa powder. Mix well and reserve.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt. (I do it directly over the batter later).
- In a large bowl mix eggs with sugar until light and creamy, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, bourbon, vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture. Mix at low speed.
- Add dry ingredients and mix only until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack and carefully unmold on the wire rack. Let cool completely. (At this point you can wrap it in film and aluminum paper and freeze it for a couple of weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator and then let if get to room temperature before glazing).
- Pour the glaze over and let it drip down the sides. Decorate with cocoa nibs.
- Heat cream a bit, remove from the fire and add the chocolates. Wait for 1 minute and mix until very well blended.
- Add corn syrup and mix well.
adapted from Home Baked Comfort, by Kim Laidlaw
- Autumn Spiced Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
- Aztec Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by I Sugar Coat It!
- Baileys Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Liv for Cake
- Bourbon Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Bourbon Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by I Bake He Shoots
- Carob and Hot Chocolate Cake by A Kingdom for A Cake
- Chocolate and Tiffany’s Bundtcake by La Mejor Manera
- Chocolate Chips Orange Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Hot Chocolate & Caramel Bundt Cake by I love Bundt Cakes
- Hot Chocolate Bundt with Godiva Glaze by Our Good Life
- Hot Chocolate Buttered Rum Bundt by The Crumby Cupcake
- Hot Chocolate Habanero Bundt Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Hot Chocolate Lavender Bundt Cake by Adventures in All Things Food
- Hot Cocoa Almond Bundt Cake by SimplyVeggies
- Irish Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by From Gate to Plate
- Kahlua Drenched Dark Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Mocha Bundt Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Nutella & Toffee Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Orange Pisco White Chocolate Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cake by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate Bundt by Tartacadabra
- Toffee Chip Hot Chocolate Pound Cake by Magnolia Days
- White Hot Chocolate Peppermint Bundt by Noshing With The Nolands
- White Hot Chocolate Pound Cake by My Catholic Kitchen
Want to join us baking a bundt cake each month?
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board.We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.