Sausage and Sun Dried Tomato Strata
Yield 4 to 6 servings
You can halve the recipe and/or make individual servings too.
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, not oil packed, chopped
- 12 oz. (340g) sausage, casings removed
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound (450g) dill and red onion bread, crusts trimmed, cut into pieces
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Fontina cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley and/or basil
- Place sun dried tomatoes in medium bowl. Pour enough boiling water over to cover. Let stand until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Sauté sausages in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until cooked through, breaking up with the back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towels and drain well.
- Butter 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. Whisk milk, eggs, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Add tomatoes, sausage, bread, parmesan, fontina, mozzarella and herbs. Stir to blend.
- Transfer to prepared dish. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Bake strata uncovered until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer pan to rack and cool 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional parsley if desired and serve.