Bill Granger's Fresh Cherry Tart
Yield 8 slices
You can substitute the cherries for other red fruits, or stone fruits such as plums or apricots.
For the crust:
- 125g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 90g (scant 1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 175g (1 1/4 cups) plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons almond meal (ground almonds)
For the filling:
- 170ml cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 450g (1 pound) cherries, pitted (fresh are best)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C.
- Have ready a 24cm/10-inch round loose-bottomed tart pan.
- For the crust:
- Stir together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour and salt and stir to make a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to the pan and press evenly into the base and sides with your floured fingertips. The dough seems like it's not enough but it is.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the almond meal over the base.
- For the filling:
- Whisk together the cream, eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Add the flour and whisk until well mixed.
- Arrange the cherries over the pastry base and slowly pour the cream filling evenly over the cherries.
- Return the tart to the oven and bake 40-50 minutes until the filling is firm.Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve with cream or ice cream.