Though lately my citrus palate has weighed towards grapefruits and tangerines, probably because they’re the underdogs of the group, there’s no denying that lemon + cake are the first words that come to mind when there is a citrus theme and I need a recipe.I know, as if I didn’t have enough recipes already in this blog… lemon curd cupcakes, lemon almond pound cake, lemon loaf cake with lemoncello glaze, late harvest citrus cake, lemon blueberry crumb cake, daisy cake and my favorite lemon poppy seed cake.
Yes, me + lemon + cake are happy together. Images of sun, spring, vibrant colors and summer come right after.
The season has changed, yet the last few days have been very warm. Flip flop warm. And we’re on a six day Easter holiday here. Yep, until next Wednesday. Very lazy days these are turning out to be.So go make something sweet or tart or both or savory, set the table, put some flowers in a vase, invite your friends, add your family and celebrate something. There’s always something to give thanks for.
LEMON BLUEBERRY POLENTA CAKE
Yield 8 servings
If you don't want a very tart sauce, increase the sugar by an additional 1/4 cup or decrease the lemon juice by half.
For lemon polenta cake:
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/3 cup tepid water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup honey
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 8 Tbs (115g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbs butter, in bits and chilled
- 2 large eggs
For blueberry sauce:
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
For lemon polenta cake:
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line bottom of a 9-inch (24cm) springform cake pan with parchment paper and spray or butter sides of pan.
- Mix polenta, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat ricotta and water until smooth. If it's still be somewhat curdled, don't worry. Add sugar, honey and lemon zest and beat well. Gradually add melted butter and then add eggs, one at a time, and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- On low speed, add the dry ingredients in two or three additions, beating only until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan, dot the top with the tablespoon of chilled butter and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack, unmold onto a serving plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with the blueberry sauce.
For the blueberry sauce:
- In a saucepan mix blueberries, lemon juice and sugar.
- Cook for about 5 minutes at medium low heat, until syrupy and the berries are somewhat wrinkled.
When you look at the list of recipes we compiled for today, you’ll see that there a dozens of things to make with citrus, and all of them are amazing!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks: