This month is about chocolate + caramel, which is one of those combination of flavors that I don’t know where to begin.
Because caramel is good with every single type of chocolate. So, at the risk of being a bore, I made some wonderfully gooey millionaire’s bars with salted caramel and a graham cracker crust instead of the usual shortbread.
Salted Caramel Millionaire's Graham Cracker Bars
Yield 9 squares
For the dough:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Roll dough and fit into an 8-inch (20cm) square pan.
- Put a piece of aluminum foil over bottom and up two sides of the pan, so it's easier to unmold later; just grab the foil and lift.
- I used a square bottomless mold with aluminum foil, and directly marked the rolled dough with the pan, so it fits perfectly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden but completely done. Let cool on wire rack.
For the caramel:
- Prepare caramel according to recipe.
- Spread evenly over cooled graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or leave at room tº a few hours until it solidifies.
For the chocolate topping:
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave or in a bowl over a double boiler and spread carefully and evenly over caramel layer.
- Leave at room temperature until it cools and then refrigerate, covered, until it solidifies.
- When ready to serve, unmold carefully, cut into squares and serve.
Can be frozen wrapped in double aluminum foil.