Sun-dried tomato and pine nut pesto
Yield 2 cups
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes
- ¾ cup packed stemmed fresh parsley
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup olive oil, or to taste
- Put the sun dried tomatoes in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let soften 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Chop very coarsely.
- In the bowl of a food processor, or immersion blender, put the chopped tomatoes, parsley, pine nuts, shallots, garlic, some pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add ¼ cup olive oil and process until a paste starts to form.
- With a spatula, clear the sides of the bowl, and taste. Add more salt and pepper if necessary and add the vinegar.
- With the machine running, add the rest of the olive oil in a thin stream. Clear the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- The pesto is done when it's as chunkier or smooth as you want. You might not need the whole amount of oil.
- Check a final time for salt, pepper and vinegar. Adjust if needed.