Skillet Blue Cheese Burgers
I suggest you use a large skillet so you can make all the burgers at the same time. And you can warm the buns in the oven too instead of adding them to the skillet. I have the little garlic oven, but some foil works as well.
You can make sliders too, and you will get about double the amount.
- 7oz (200g) pork sausage (no casings) or ground pork
- 14oz (400g) ground beef, with no more than 15% fat
- 4 garlic cloves
- Salt and black pepper
- 4oz (115g) blue cheese, crumbled
- 2oz (60g) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup Salsa, see recipe here
- 4 burger slider buns
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and roast garlic cloves wrapped in foil with a drizzle of olive oil, until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a bowl mix pork, beef and mashed garlic. Add salt (not too much since the blue cheese is salty) and black pepper. Mix very well with your hands for a few minutes; this part is important so the proteins in the meats break down and bind the whole thing together.
- You can also knead it with a stand mixer, something I recommend if you’re making burgers for a crowd.
- Heat skillet over medium/low heat.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts. Take each part, divide it in two, flatten one into a disk and add some blue cheese and a smaller amount of mozzarella.
- Top with the remaining portion of meat and carefully cover the cheese, making sure the sides are sealed. Flatten it without letting the cheese spill.
- Repeat with remaining meat and cheeses.
- Add patties to the skillet, and cook them for about 7 - 10 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Push the meat to one side, stacking them if needed, or transfer them to a tray, and keep them warm in a very low oven.
- Divide the salsa in two. Increase the heat to high, add a drizzle of olive oil to the skillet and half a cup of salsa. Sautée it for a minute or two and add the bottom of the buns if you want to the skillet, so they warm up and soak some of the juices.
- Mix the fresh salsa with the cooked one. Put the burgers with salsa on top between the warm bread and eat.