I love these to make meat sandwiches. Love them. The crumb is the right texture for those meat juices, and it works with cold meats well too. Which is probably the most nutritious meal I will have in the next few weeks. Time to get very organized, which is not my thing at all given the choice. But it turns out, I have no choice!
Beer Bread Rolls
Yield 12 rolls
If you don’t find semolina, use all bread flour.
- 1oz fresh or 3/4oz active dry yeast
- 2 Tbs honey or sugar
- 2 2/3 cups tepid beer
- 1 pound + 1oz (500g) bread flour
- 1 pound + 1oz (500g) semolina flour,
- see note above
- 2 Tbs (30g) salt
- Extra flour and semolina for dusting
- Dissolve yeast in a bowl with 1 cup beer and the honey. Leave a few minutes until foaming.
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if making by hand), mix flour, semolina and salt.
- Make a hole in the middle and add the yeast mixture and the rest of the beer. With a wooden spoon or mix until you have a shaggy mass.
- If using a mixer, attach the dough hook and knead for a few minutes until the dough starts to come together. Adjust liquid (add water by teaspoons if the dough is too dry and won’t come together) or flour (add by tablespoons if the dough is too wet) if needed. Knead for 5 minutes until smooth.
- If making by hand dump the mix onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 1 minute, adding teaspoons of water (if too dry) or tablespoons of flour (if too wet). Knead for 5 to 7 minutes, pushing and folding the dough over and over
- until smooth.
- Shape into a ball, cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap (it will rise faster), and let double in size, about 30 to 40 minutes depending on how warm the kitchen is.
- Gently punch the dough down to release all air inside, and knead for 1 minute.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces, shape each into a tight ball and place in two greased round tins.
- Dust the tops with some flour.
- Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled again. While they’re rising, preheat the oven to 425ºF / 225ºC.
- Bake bread for about 20 minutes, until golden and dry. If you tap the bottom it should sound hollow. Unmold onto a wire rack and let cool.