I didn’t add it to the ice cream by a hair. Just kidding.
Crazy, I know. When is brown butter not worth it?
This dough is very crumbly, much like scone dough, but it should come together. When rolling it and cutting the cookies, do so in batches if necessary.
- ½ cup unsalted butter browned and refrigerated until solid again
- ½ cup + 1 Tbs confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder depending on how bitter you like it
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend butter pieces, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until just mixed.
- Add flour and cocoa and blend until it starts to come together. Don’t over mix.
- Form into a disk, transfer to a plastic bag, and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼ inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter of your choice.
- Transfer to a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes, until dry. Cool completely on wire rack and store in an airtight container.
from The Last Course, by Claudia Fleming
Today’s 5 related recipes worth looking at:
Triple Caramel Pecan Rolo Ice Cream from Chocolate Moosey
Crema di Limoncello from Simply Recipes
Coconut Limoncello Cupcakes from Bakers Royale
Brown Butter Salted Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Picky Palate
Brown Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Bars from Cooking Canuck