This healthier banana dark chocolate chip bread recipe is your answer to all that candy overdose. Past and future.
We’re entering the final stretch of this year’s road trip, and a lot of celebrations are awaiting around the curve. Let’s sandwich them with some healthier recipes, shall we?.
I have a go-to banana bread as I’m sure you do too. Mine has roasted bananas and is plain, no add-ons, just a whole lot of banana flavor. Taking that recipe as a guide, I developed a healthier one, with the same amazing flavor, muscovado sugar (you can use light brown sugar), coconut oil and some dark chocolate in it, you know, the kind they say is good for you.
Banana and chocolate is really an incredible combination.
I debated whether to add walnuts too, since, you know, they are amazing with banana bread. But this bread already had a lot going on, with the coconut oil which makes it lighter, and the dark chocolate chips which I wanted to stand out. You bite into them directly, and that’s a good thing.
You can easily double this recipe and use a tube pan, or make two loaves and also add some walnuts to one of them.
Or, and this is really going over the top, you can eat it with a dollop of dulce de leche. Heaven.
Healthier dark chocolate chip banana bread
You can add some walnuts too, about 1/2 cup, chopped.
- 2 cups (260g) superfine whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) fine muscovado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room tº
- 2 cups (about 3 large) mashed very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup (60g) dark chocolate chips (I use Callebaut 80%)
- Preheat oven at 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Line a 10x4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper (bottom and two narrow sides) and spray or butter remaining sides.
- In a large bowl beat coconut oil with sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add bananas and vanilla, alternating with flour, sifted baking soda and salt (you can do it before, but I sift everything directly, especially the baking soda since it can harden into little pieces) and mix well.
- Add chocolate and mix well with a spatula.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until cracked on top and a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack and unmold.
- It keeps well wrapped at room tº for a day or two.