Let me tell you this is one of the best plum cakes ever. It has almonds, honey and that awesome balance between sweet and sour from the fresh plums.
- 6 tablespoons (85g) butter
- 2/3 cup (135g) fine muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (95g) ground almonds, or almond flour
- 3/4 cup (70g) superfine whole wheat flour
- 3-4 red plums (stoned and each half in fourths)
- Powdered sugar (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Line or butter an 8-inch round with removable bottom or square cake pan lined with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large bowl.
- Add sugar and honey. Mix well with a hand beater.
- Add egg, extracts, salt and baking powder. Mix well until creamy.
- Add flours in 2 or 3 parts, mixing well, but not too much.
- Pour into the prepared pan and arrange plum pieces on top.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until a tester comes almost dry (this is a very moist cake so it will not be completely dry).
- Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top (not too much) and serve.
- Plums: I love red plums, but any type you like will work. Use firm ones, not soft overripen ones as they don't cut well and don't hold their shape as well.
- Honey: this is an important part. Don't be tempted to add more honey. The cake will take ages to bake completely, if ever. Learn from my experience. Any type of honey works, but runny is always easier to mix.
- Pan size: it is very important to use the pan specified in the recipe because otherwise, it might not bake properly. You can use a slightly larger pan (the cake will be shorter) but never smaller.
- Keeping: the cake keeps for a few days well, at room t°. I find that refrigerating it dries it up too much for my taste. And it's not the ideal cake to freeze. You can of course, but I wouldn't recommend it highly. I like to eat it the day it is baked, two days at the most.
- Variations: this is a superb cake with other stone fruit - peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries.
Keywords: plum cake, plum almond cake