A layer of juicy apples and berries are topped with a crisp crumble in this fabulous dessert that can be frozen or made-ahead and is a total crowd pleaser!
- 3/4 cup (105g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) regular oats
- 3/4 cup (80g) sliced or chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup (130g) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces (plus some extra to butter the dish)
- 1 1/2 pounds (3/4kg) or about 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced or diced small
- 2 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F /180°C.
Have ready a 9-13 inch ovenproof ceramic or glass dish. Butter it and reserve.
Make the crumble:
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar and salt and mix to combine.
- Add cold butter and work it with your hands or dough cutter until you have pieces the size of peas. Some of the mixture will be sand-like with very small butter pieces.
- Mix in the oats and almonds until you have a lumpy mixture trying not to completely break the almonds. At this point, you can cover it and refrigerate for a few days or freeze it.
- You can also mix flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor and then transfer to a bowl and mix the oats and almonds.
- Put a layer of apples in the buttered dish.
- Top with the fresh or frozen berries.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Cover the fruit with the crumble. It will be uneven, rustic looking and maybe parts in the sides will not be completely covered. That is fine.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is golden and fruit is bubbling.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Keywords: apple crumble, fruit crumble