For the salad:
- 6 cups coleslaw mix (shredded green and red cabbage with a smaller amount of shredded carrots) See Notes below
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 red apple with skin
- 1/2 green apple with skin
For the tangy dressing:
- 1/3 cup natural yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons (sometimes more) of milk or cream, to thin out the dressing
- One or two hours before serving, toss coleslaw mix in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the dressing ingredients.
- Taste and adjust, adding more vinegar, salt or whatever you feel is needed. If you want it more fluid, add a couple tablespoons of milk or cream and adjust again.
- Cut the apples into quarters. Cut and discard the hard center with seeds. Slice the apple pieces, and cut them into strips like thick matchsticks. Add them to the rest of the slaw ingredients.
- Toss lightly with half of the dressing until well coated. Add more gradually, adjusting to your taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Coleslaw tastes better after 1 or 2 hours in the fridge. The dressing flavors meld and slightly soften the vegetables.
- To serve, place half the coleslaw mixture in the serving bowl or platter. Scatter half the cranberries on top. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients, add fresh apple slices and serve.
- Coleslaw mix: we use 2 cups shredded green cabbage, 1 cup shredded red cabbage and 1 cup shredded carrots. Adapt to what you have and what you like. The ratio of cabbage to carrots is 3:1 to 4:1, depending on how much carrots you like.
- Dressing: you can make it up to 5 days ahead. Refrigerate it in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid.
- How to store leftovers:
Refrigerate promptly: especially if it has been sitting out at room temperature. The crisper drawer is usually a good place to store it.
Use an airtight container: to prevent moisture loss and keep the coleslaw from absorbing any strong odors from the fridge.
Avoid freezing: it can cause the vegetables to become mushy when thawed, and the dressing may separate.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salads - Side dishes
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 17.8 g
- Sodium: 492.6 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 8.2 mg
Keywords: apple coleslaw