A golden loaf full of juicy blueberries, crunchy pecans, and applesauce. So moist and delicious for breakfast or to snack on.
- 3/4 cups (85g) pecans, lightly toasted if you want to
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used them frozen, directly from the freezer)
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup superfine whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mace or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used Smitten Kitchen’s recipe), or simply finely grate 1 or 2 peeled apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Reserve a few pecans for the top of the loaf, and finely chop the rest.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Butter or spray 1 medium loaf pans (9×3 inches)
- Sprinkle with ground nuts coating evenly. Or dust with flour or fine dry breadcrumbs.
- Remove and reserve 1 Tbs of the flour.
- Sift remainder white flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and spice. (I measure the dry ingredients and then sift them directly over the egg mixture).
- In a large bowl beat together eggs, oil, and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add applesauce and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients without beating too much.
- Mix blueberries with the tablespoon of flour and add to the egg mixture.
- Add chopped pecans and mix.
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Sprinkle with any remaining ground pecans and 2 Tbs sugar, and arrange whole pieces decoratively on top if you want.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then unmold and let cool completely.
Tips & tricks for this recipe:
- Pan size – this recipe can be made in one loaf pan as I did here, in muffin cups, mini loaf pans, or even as a sheet cake.
- Decoration – I like to add a row of pecan halves and sprinkle with a tablespoon of brown sugar before baking. You can omit it of course.
- Keeping – always wrap it in plastic to ensure it stays moist. It lasts for a few days at room t° as long as it’s not hot. Apples ferment at some point so keep this in mind.
- Freezing – wrap it well and freeze it for 1 month. I cut it before and then toast individual slices.
- Spices – add any other spice you like, ground cinnamon always works with these flavors.
- You can substitute pear puree for the apple.
- Also, this recipe is easily doubled. Maybe eat one and freeze the other?.
Keywords: applesauce loaf, blueberry applesauce, blueberry loaf