A wonderful loaf cake, fragrant, sweet and old-fashioned. Dates and walnuts combine with brown butter (yes!) and brown sugar to fill your kitchen with the most wonderful aroma!
- 5 Tbs (75g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room t°
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 Tbs light molasses (optional)
- 1 ¾ cup (235g) all-purpose or cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A few grindings of fresh nutmeg
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 5 oz. (about 8 pieces) medjool dates, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the brown butter:
- I a small saucepan melt the butter.
- Let it bubble and foam, until it starts turning a deep amber color, similar to caramel.
- This will take about 4 or 5 minutes. Don't let it burn.
- Transfer to a small bowl and freeze for about 30 minutes, until solid but not rock-hard.
For the loaf cake:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a non-stick 8×4-inch loaf pan. Or line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat brown butter with sugar until very creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add molasses if using.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in two additions. Add the vanilla.
- Finally, add the dates and pecans with a spatula and mix well. It may look somewhat curdled, it’s fine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a tester comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
- Unmold and keep, well wrapped, at room tº for a few days, or freeze for a few months.
- To make brown butter go to my Brown Butter Cake post. There you have step-by-step instructions with images.
Keywords: date loaf, date walnut cake