- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 Tbs butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Mix yolks in a large bowl. Reserve.
- In a saucepan heat milk and both sugars, stirring over medium until it breaks into a boil. Immediately remove from heat, and pour, in a thin stream while you continually whisk, over the yolks.
- Return the mixture to the same saucepan and stir over medium low heat until it thickens, but do not let it boil. It will coat theback of a spoon and leave a path if you draw a finger across it.
- Add softened butter, salt and vanilla paste and mix until it melts completely. Add cream, mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Process in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions. Add chocolate chips and keep in the freezer.