For the cookies:
- 1 recipe for Chocolate Pie Crust
For the frosting:
- 2.5oz (70g) regular cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar (you might need more)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Take the chocolate dough from the refrigerator and let soften until you can start to roll it. It has to be cold, and it will be tough at first to roll.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or butter the pan.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll the dough about 1/4 inch thick. You want thin cookies as they will be filled.
- Cut cookies with your designated cookie cutter and place them in the baking sheets, separated an inch from each other.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until dry and slightly soft. They will harden when they cool.
- Let cool for a few minutes and carefully lift them with a spatula and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Fill one cookie with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or so of cream cheese filling and press another cookie on top to make a sandwich.
- Keep in airtight containers. See Notes for how to store them.
Airtight containers - I like to use metal tins. But any container with an airtight lid will work.
Freezing - you can freeze the cut cookies before baking. I put the whole baking sheet in the freezer and bake directly.
If you store already filled cookies they will soften as the days go by because the moisture from the cream cheese seeps into the dough.
- Prep Time: 20
- Extra time: 60
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1/15
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 15.9 g
- Sodium: 31.4 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.6 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 37.5 mg
Keywords: chocolate sandwich cookies