These intense chocolate cookies have been my favorites for years. They have nuts, a shiny, crackly skin, and a dark chocolate fudgy center with chocolate chips that is gooey and incredibly rich. They can be made in different sizes and last several days. A fabulous chocolate cookie recipe I'm sure you'll love!
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee or coffee extract, optional but recommended
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- 8.5 oz walnuts or pecans, or use 1 cup of each (2 cups total after they're chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Butter two cookie sheets or line with buttered parchment paper.
- Melt chopped chocolate with butter and reserve. I use the microwave in 15 second spurts, mixing after each one. You can also use a double boiler were the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl, just the steam.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts or pecans.
- Beat together eggs with sugar in a large bowl for 2 minutes. The mixture will be thick and light colored.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder and mix just until incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Mix until it's all coated with chocolate. The mixture will be shiny and will feel too thin for cookies.
- Drop tablespoons of this mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them. Do not press down.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until shiny and crackly. The middle of the cookies will be soft.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing from the baking sheets.
- Store in an airtight tin.
Baking: I use buttered cookie sheets for this recipe. But a silpat (silicone sheet) or greased parchment paper also work.
Chocolate: the better the quality, the better the outcome. I love dark chocolate, like Ghirardelli Intense 72% cacao bar or Green & Black Organic 70% cacao bar. But you can use less intense ones for a sweeter cookie, like Ghirardelli Semi sweet Premium Bar.
Nuts: I use all walnuts or pecans, but the original recipe calls for some of each. It is essential that you use them. Otherwise, the cookies won't hold. You can substitute hazelnuts.
Storing: airtight containers are recommended. I like to use tins, but cookie jars work just fine.
- Serving Size: 1/24
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 55.1 mg
- Fat: 13.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 23.1 mg
Keywords: chocolate nut cookies