Wonderfully easy to make, these blondies (similar to brownies but light in color) have walnuts, are ready in under an hour and freeze well. Laced with coffee, they taste like the best giant caramel cookie.
- 1 tablespoon ground instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 oz. (140g) white chocolate chips or chunks
- 3/4 cups (100g) walnuts, coarsely chopped (you can toast them lightly for a better flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C.
- Butter a 9-inch square cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine coffee and water in a small saucepan and stir until dissolved.
- Over low heat, add sugar and butter and stir until butter melts.
- Turn off heat and let the mixture cool to room tº, stirring occasionally. You can transfer it to a bowl to speed it up.
- Add eggs and coffee liqueur to butter mixture and whisk to combine.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt directly onto butter mixture and stir to blend.
- Stir in chocolate and nuts.
- Bake until a tester comes out almost clean, about 35 minutes. Do not over bake or they will be tough.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Loosen sides with a knife, turn onto a plate, peel off the paper, cut into wedges and serve.
Freezing: you can freeze them for up to a month. I recommend cutting them first when they are cooled down, wrapping in plastic wrap and then in aluminum paper.
Variation: this is my sophisticated adult version,
Add a tablespoon (or two) of coffee liqueur such as Kahlua to the batter, the drizzle, or both.
Use different nuts, a mix of hazelnuts and pecans is my favorite.
Add dark, intense chocolate chips, like Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips.
- Serving Size: 1/9
- Calories: 592
- Sugar: 57 g
- Sodium: 178 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 81.6 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 85.3 mg
Keywords: white chocolate blondies