- 2 ripe Haas avocados, scooped
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 fat tablespoon of tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (amount may vary depending on how thick you like your hummus)
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 pita breads, if making pita chips
- Smoked paprika
For the pita chips:
- Preheat oven to 300ºF /150ºC.
- Open the pita bread and cut each half into 6 pieces (triangles or whatever shape you want).
- Scatter them on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until dried and toasted.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika as soon as you take them out. Let cool completely and keep in tins or cookie jars. If they are not well dried they will lose their crunch quickly. Otherwise, they keep a few weeks.
For the hummus:
- In the bowl of the food processor mix chickpeas, avocados (peeled, cored, scooped and cut into chunks), the lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, some salt and pepper and process several minutes until very smooth.
- Check seasonings and add more juice and/or tahini and/or salt to taste. Or more olive oil.
- Serve with pita chips.
- Keep covered in the fridge with a thin layer of olive oil on top to prevent darkening.
Avocados: I highly recommend haas avocados (small and wrinkled) as the results will be superior.
Tahini: can be found in some supermarkets, gourmet shops, middle eastern markets or you can buy it online Tahini 100% pure Sesame
Garlic: I don't use it for this recipe but it can be added. Roasted garlic works well too.
Serving: serve it with the pita chips mentioned above, with toast, as part of a sandwich or quesadilla, or as part of a buddha bowl.
Storing: use a jar, add a thin layer of olive oil on top, close the lid and keep it in the fridge for several days. Even though the top starts to darken, below the hummus is green, similar to guacamole.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizers & Dips
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 312.1 mg
- Fat: 32.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: avocado hummus