- 2 cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or smoked merken
- Olive oil (to cover)
- Wash well the cucumbers, cut in half, each piece inhalf again and cut along the seeds. Cut each quarter into ½ inch pieces.
- Toss in a bowl with salt and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Drain off the liquid that was released.
- Mix in the vinegar, sugar and pepper flakes. Mix well with the cucumbers.
- Transfer to a jar, packing. Add olive oil until all cucumbers are covered, close tightly and store in the refrigerator.
- You can eat them immediately or wait until they are colder from the fridge.
- They last one month.
- Washing: thoroughly wash the cucumbers before cutting and salting.
- Salt: we have a 'barbecue salt' here which is in between fine and very coarse. That's what I use, but any salt will do really. Let not that stop you from making this quick pickles.
- Oil: I use olive oil and that's why the images have a yellow tint. Most recipes don't have oil, but it is a wonderful way of keeping them in the fridge.
- Vinegar: I use white vinegar but rice works well too.
- Spiciness: keep in mind when adding ginger and red pepper flakes that the longer you keep them, the spicier the cucumbers get. Decrease the amount if you plan to use them in a few weeks. At least the first time you make them. Or you can omit them altogether, but they will lack something, in my opinion.
- Prep Time: 50
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Canning
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 291.9 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.3 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pickled cucumbers, cucumber pickle