I don’t think I ever made a bread dough that looked as pretty as this one. The little flecks of green and bits of purple. Don’t you agree? I’m sure you do.
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Scant 1/3 cup (100ml water)
- 3 ¾ to 4 cups 500g bread or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh dill
- 2/3 cup 150g sour cream, at room tº
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbs 30g unsalted butter, at room tº
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Put flour in bowl of stand mixer or large bowl if mixing by hand.
- Make a well in the center and add the water, yeast, dill, sour cream, onion, butter and egg.
- Start mixing with wooden spoon or dough hook and immediately add the salt.
- Mix on low speed until the dough comes together, about 2 minutes, then continue beating on medium speed for another 8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. If making by hand, turn the sticky dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in a clean bowl, cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 ½ hours.
- Butter and coat the bottom of a loaf pan with cornmeal.