- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, in pieces
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven at 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or butter them.
- Melt butter and chocolate (in the microwave in short 15 second spurts, mixing it well between each one, or over boiling water not touching the bottom of the bowl).
- Add both sugars and mix well.
- Add eggs, two at a time, and mix well but do not beat.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla. Mix well without beating. The batter will be shiny.
- Add half a cup of the chocolate chips to the batter and mix.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with some of the remaining half of chocolate chips, dividing evenly.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Don't over bake so they are as moist as possible.
- Let cool on a wire rack before eating.
- Keep leftovers covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container for 3 days and then refrigerate or freeze, well wrapped.
Organization: always read the recipe first and make sure you have all the ingredients, at the right temperatures, and also the rest of the equipment and space to make it. This will make the process so much easier!
Baking time: keep in mind that all ovens and pans are different, even if they look the same or very similar. The baking time in my recipes are as accurate as I they can be, but it might take you more or less time. You can use a thermometer that is placed inside the oven (like the OXO oven thermometer) to check that your oven is the right temperature. I recommend you keep track of how your oven works and what tiny details you might need to adjust.
Chocolate, chips and cocoa powder: the ones I use the most are Ghirardelli Premium semi sweet chocolate chips, Toll House Baking chocolate chips, Ghirardelli Premium Baking Bar, Ghirardelli 60% premium baking chocolate, Hershey's unsweetened natural cocoa powder, Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder.
How to melt the butter and chocolate: I use the microwave (short 15 second spurts and mixing well after each of them) but you can also melt them on top of a double boiler being careful that the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl.
Flavorings: this recipe makes a simple chocolate muffins with chips for an extra boost. But you can flavor them with spices like cinnamon, add milk or white chocolate chips for a sweeter version, add a tablespoon of your favorite liqueur, or some orange zest for a more sophisticated muffin.
How to freeze chocolate muffins: you can make them ahead or make a large batch and freeze them. I like to do so while slightly warm still as I feel they retain the moisture better after they're thawed. Always wrap them well in plastic wrap or freezer bag, or use an airtight container suitable for the freezer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate muffins