Super easy and super delicious, this chocolate frosting is sweet but not cloying, develops an outer layer but is still moist inside, has a great flavor, and comes together in minutes. It can be used as a filling too. A fantastic recipe!
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz (100g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (6g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (320g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- Other extracts if you want, I add coffee and sometimes almond.
- Pinch of sea salt, optional
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream or cream cheese, at room t°
- Melt butter and chocolate (as for brownies) in the microwave (short 5 second spurts and mixing well each time) or on top of a saucepan with hot water being careful not to let it touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Add sifted cocoa powder and powdered sugar in 2 parts and mix well until creamy.
- Add extract, salt and cheese and mix very well. It is creamy and without lumps.
- Use directly as a frosting and/or filling.
- Keep refrigerated, covered.
Chocolate: use the best one you can buy and semi-sweet. I normally use 60-72% (the higher the number, more bitter the chocolate) as it has a lot of sweetness from the sugar. You can use a higher % for a stronger flavor. My favorites to buy online are Green & Black's Dark Chocolate Bar 70%, Ghirardelli Intense Chocolate 60% and Ghirardelli Intense Chocolate Bars 70%.
Refrigeration: this is the way to store it IMO as it keeps well for weeks in a tightly covered container. Whip it again before using it to achieve the best consistency.
Freezing: you can freeze this chocolate frosting in a container that has a lid. I like to first put it in the refrigerator the night before so it defrosts gradually. Then take it out, bring it to room t° and whip it again. It usually comes back together easily.
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 36.6 g
- Sodium: 31.8 mg
- Fat: 17.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.4 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 35.5 mg
Keywords: chocolate frosting