There's no final sprinkling on top. The layers inside tend to blur while the cake bakes and when you slice it it's like a roller coaster. There are no defined layers. I like that, you get a different variation in each slice, maybe a lot of apricots and figs and maybe more of the streusel.
This batter is dense and has dried fruit and streusel that weighs it down. So be sure it's fully baked before taking it out of the oven. To easily spread the batter use the following trick: dip the back of a spoon in cold water and spread the cake batter with it. Use the wet spoon as many times as you need.
For the streusel mixture:
- 1 cup 200g firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 Tbs 60g butter, softened
- ¼ cup 35g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the coffee cake:
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup dried figs
- 3 cups 420g all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup 170g butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC
- Grease and flour, or grease and line the bottom with parchment paper, of a 10-inch (24cm) tube pan.
- For the streusel mixture:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a fork or hands until crumbly; set aside.
- Chop apricots and figs and set aside.
- For the coffee cake:
- In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a stand mixer or an electric handheld mixer, beat butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat well.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat for 3 minutes after the last one.
- Add vanilla. Mixture might look curdled.
- Add flour mixture in three additions alternating with sour cream in two additions.
- Fold in apricots and figs.Spoon 1/3 of mixture into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle half of streusel mixture over.
- Spoon 1/3 of batter on top of streusel, then the rest of streusel and finally the rest 1/3 of batter.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a cake inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove pan to wire rack. Let cool for 20 minutes, invert onto wire rack and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.