A versatile pasta bake with sausages and zucchini.
- 3 medium zucchini (halved in four and sliced thinly)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ½ pound 240g hot Italian sausage, casings removed (or pork chorizo)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 oz (60g) semi-soft goat cheese, cubed or grated
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/3 cup gruyere cheese (grated)
- ½ pound fusilli or other dried pasta
- Preheat oven to 375ºF/180ºC.
- Grease 3 quart deep casserole.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet, add sausages and cook until beginning to brown.
- Add onion, thyme and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft and just beginning to brown.
- Add white wine, scrape any browned bits and cook until wine evaporated.
- Add cream and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and add goat cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
- Drain well, and transfer to skillet with sauce. Mix well and put in prepared casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup parmesan and gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Pasta: use any short dry pasta you like.
Cheeses: I like the combination in the recipe, but use what you have lying around or another combination you like. It’s important to use a semi-soft cheese and a semi-hard one.
Keywords: sausage pasta bake, sausage fusilli