- 1 cup packed prunes
- 1/3 cup cognac or brandy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 oz 170g bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup toasted (ground almonds)
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger (finely chopped)
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- 3 Tbs cream
- 1 Tbs honey
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 10-inch round springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper or foil.
- In a small bowl mix prunes and cognac. Let stand for 2 hours. Process the prunes, cognac and 1/3 cup water until pureed.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and ginger and reserve.
- With an electric mixer beat eggs and sugar until doubled and light colored. With a spatula fold the prune puree into the eggs, then the chocolate, almonds, ginger and dry ingredients.
- Put into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the cake is dry on top and a tester comes out clean. Don’t over bake.
- Cool on wire rack and invert onto serving plate. Pour chocolate sauce on top and decorate with some ground almonds and candied ginger if desired.
For the chocolate sauce:
- Put chocolate, cream and honey in a metal or glass bowl set over simmering water. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool until desirable consistency.