Different from traditional recipes, these are sweet and spicy rounds of eggplants, sweet from the honey and with a kick from the spices. Very unique and delicious!
- 1 ½ pounds (700g) eggplant
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 3 Tbs honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 Tbs fresh parsley (chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 cup natural yogurt (seasoned with salt and pepper, optional )
- Slice eggplants in medium thick rounds.
- Crush or grind coriander and cumin seeds. I do it with a mortar and pestle.
- Mix oil, garlic, honey, coriander and cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan.
- Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Reserve.
- Put eggplant slices in a tray; brush both sides with honey spice mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill or skillet and cook eggplant rounds until golden, about 2 minutes per side. When you turn them brush with any remaining honey mixture and continue cooking.
- Transfer to a serving platter and add the vinegar evenly over rounds.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve at room tº with natural yogurt on the side.
Serve it with yogurt for a refreshing alternative.
Keywords: honey eggplant, spicy honey eggplant