Easy to make and delicious, you will love this healthier version. Perfect for a brunch, breakfast or as a snack, this muffin recipe will become a favorite.
- 2/3 cup (170g) mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup (80g) coconut oil
- 1 egg, room tº
- 1/2 cup (100g) fine muscovado sugar
- 1 cup (140g) all-purpose or cake flour (or use 1/3 fine whole wheat flour of the total amount)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (45g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 Tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Have ready a muffin mold lined with 8 paper cups.
- In a bowl put mashed bananas and beat while adding coconut oil and sugar. There will be some chunks of banana still.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat to mix.
- Over this batter sift flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Mix just until combined but be careful to not over mix (as this will make your muffins tougher).
- Divide batter among paper cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, Be careful not to overcook as they will dry more than necessary.
- Let cool on wire rack some minutes and eat warm or on the same day.
- For freezing instructions go to post above.
Tips & tricks for this recipe:
- Bananas: use very ripen, dark-spotted bananas, they are sweeter and the flavor will be superior. If they did not ripen enough you can always roast them, which is the best hack ever in the history of banana bread making!
- Nuts: I love walnuts because they go so well with the rest of the ingredients, but most nuts will do especially pecans.
- Oil: I use coconut oil because I wanted a healthier recipe, but canola and sunflower can be used too. And olive oil, which might sound weird but makes for a fabulous muffin!
- Freezing: they can be frozen, well wrapped. Defrost them at room t°, unwrapped. And I suggest you warm them slightly in the oven before eating.
- Pan variations: this recipe is adaptable to be made as mini muffins (yielding about 3 dozen), loaf pans and layer cakes, such as the fantastic Banana Muffin Cake with Dulce de Leche.
Keywords: banana muffins, healthy banana muffins