This banana bread recipe is the answer to your cravings. Whether you make it the traditional or the healthier way (both variations are included in the recipe!) it has a sweet, beautiful crumb and flavor, and is full of wonderful dark chocolate chips. Or chunks. Either way, it's a crowd-pleaser because who can resist a good banana bread, right?.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup superfine whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (use coconut oil if you want a healthier version)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (use coconut or fine muscovado sugar for a healthier version)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups (3-4 medium) mashed very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 whole banana, for decoration (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven at 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Line a 10x4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper (bottom and two narrow sides) and spray or butter remaining sides.
- In a large bowl beat oil with sugar for 1 minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add bananas and vanilla in 2 parts, alternating with sifted dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt) in 3 parts. I sift everything directly over the batter, but you can do it separately.
- Add chocolate chips or chunks and mix well with a spatula.
- Pour into the prepared pan, smooth top and decorate with a whole banana, cut lengthwise in 4 pieces, on top.
- Sprinkle with the extra tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until cracked on top and a tester comes out clean. Time might vary depending on the oven and the type of pan.
- Let cool on a wire rack and remove carefully, inverting the pan and peeling away the paper.
- It keeps, well wrapped, at room temperature for a day or two.
Bananas: the best ones for this recipe are the ones that are overripe, soft, mushy, that smell barely fermented and with a spotted skin.
Variations: add some chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter, about 1/4 cup, or a few tablespoons cocoa nibs or wheat germ or bran.
Freezing: well wrapped it can be frozen for up to a month.
- Serving Size: 1/10
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 199.6 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.2 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 37.5 mg
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread