This is a moist and tender layer of lemon cake topped with berries and crumble made with oil. Both the cake and streusel are made from the same mixture. Easy and delicious!
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose or cake flour
- 1 cup (200g) white sugar
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, at room t°
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Preheat oven to 325ºF /170ºC.
- Lightly butter or spray a non-stick 8 or 9-inch round or square pan.
- In a bowl stir flour, sugars, zest and cinnamon.
- Make a hole in the middle, add oil and lemon juice and mix with a fork until flour is evenly moistened and mixture forms clumps. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture.
- To the remaining mixture add egg, sour cream, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix well with an electric mixer until batter is smooth.
- Spread in prepared pan, scatter blueberries on top and sprinkle with reserved cup of crumb mixture.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until dry, golden and a tester inserted comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly cover it with a piece of aluminum foil until it's done.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Storing: It keeps for a few days at room t°. You can freeze it for a month, well wrapped. I recommend you warm it slightly in a 325° oven for a few minutes after defrosting.
Variations on this recipe:
- Lime and strawberry - a favorite combination of this blog since we made the Strawberry Danish Braid, it has freshness and tang at the same time.
- Orange and blackberries - another combo that surprised us when we made the Blackberry Muffin Loaf. It makes for a sweeter cake.
- Lemon and Raspberries - a classic that never fails. The acid in the raspberries is perfect to balance the richness of this crumb cake.
- Plain citrus cake - forgo the berries and make this a lemon cake. Or lime.
Keywords: lemon crumb cake, blueberry crumb cake