Super flavorful and moist, this is a wonderful bundt cake with simple flavors and the surprise ingredient olive oil that is amazing!
For the cake:
- 2 cups (280g) cake or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs (at room t°)
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) mild extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) powdered sugar
- Lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven at 350°F/180°C.
- Butter or spray a 10 or 11-inch bundt cake pan and dust with fine dry breadcrumbs or flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with sugar for 3-4 minutes, until foamy and light.
- Add oil in a stream while you keep beating (similar to homemade mayonnaise).
- Add zest and vanilla.
- I sift dry ingredients directly over batter, but you can do it separately.
- Add sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) in 2 parts and mix until combined but don’t overmix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and carefully unmold.
- Let cool completely.
- Mix sugar and juice until creamy and lump-free. It should have the consistency of thick honey.
- Pour over cooled cake and let drip down the sides.
Using olive oil instead of butter gives this cake a fabulous moist crumb and a rich flavor that complements perfectly the citrus. Use a mild extra virgin olive oil for the best results.
You can add a handful of chopped walnuts to the batter or use limes together with the lemon.
You can make 1 bundt cake or 2 medium loaf cakes.
Keywords: olive oil lemon cake