This dough is very crumbly, much like scone dough, but it should come together. When rolling it and cutting the cookies, do so in batches if necessary.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (browned and refrigerated until solid again)
- ½ cup + 1 Tbs confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on how bitter you like it)
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend butter pieces, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until just mixed.
- Add flour and cocoa and blend until it starts to come together. Don’t over mix.
- Form into a disk, transfer to a plastic bag, and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼ inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter of your choice.
- Transfer to a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes, until dry. Cool completely on wire rack and store in an airtight container.