more interesting life than what they appear to.
Basically because I know close to nothing about it. So her stories about daily life in Japan began to pick my interest, such colorful ways with tradition and holidays, as you can read in posts like the cherry chip blossom cupcakes and the california citrus cake.
“If music be the food of love, play on.” So says Count Orsino in Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. Through the throes of historical changes, tango songs and dances have certainly sustained Argentinians and the Japanese. Yes, you read that right.
The cupcake is rich enough without frosting. A sprinkling of powdered sugar on top of cooled cupcakes is lovely. However, if you care to amp up the dessert, whip up a pint of heavy cream with ½ cup of powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of matcha tea powder. Serve on top of or alongside the cupcake.
For the cake batter:
- 150 g white chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 50 ml heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 40 g sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 90 g cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 ½ tsps. matcha powder
- For the filling to swirl into the batter:4 ozs. whipped cream cheese6 ½ ozs. Nutella1 egg1 tablespoon sugar1 tsp. tapioca starch
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat an oven to 335 degrees Fahrenheit. (170 degrees Celsius)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and matcha into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until frothy with an electric hand mixer.Add the sugar and vanilla.
- Combine the contents of the flour/matcha bowl with the egg/sugar mixture.
- Pour the white chocolate bits and cream into a saucepan.
- Melt the chocolate over medium-low heat.
- Stir the chocolate cream into the combined flour and egg mixture.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the cake batter into cupcake cases.
For the filling:
- With a paddle attachment on a KitchenAid or on high speed with a handheld mixer, combine the cream cheese and Nutella.
- Add the egg. Next, mix in the vanilla, sugar and tapioca starch.
- Drop ½ teaspoons of the Nutella filling on top of the cupcakes.
- Using a chopstick or knife gently swirl the chocolate into the batter.
- Bake for 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
adapted from V Boy’s Matcha Cake recipe at Cookpad.com