A fantastic appetizer that can be made in a skillet or grill. The dough has no yeast.
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups (700g to 750g) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup plain yogurt (natural, unsweetened)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup olive oil + extra to brush the bread
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1/2 cup pesto (any type works)
- 7 ounces (200g) of mozzarella cheese (or another melty one) cut into thin slices
- In a large bowl or the mixer, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl mix yogurt, egg, warm water, and oil. Mix and pour into a well in the flour mixture.
- With the dough hook start mixing at low/medium speed, until a smooth dough forms that sticks around the hook, about 5 minutes. If it is too wet, add a tablespoon of extra flour. If making by hand, integrate the ingredients inside the bowl and then knead until smooth.
- On a floured counter, divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Form buns and put them on a plate dusted with flour.
- Lightly brush the surface of each with olive oil, cover with loose plastic, and let rest for 1 hour.
- Divide each bun into two parts.
- Flatten half of the dough portions, and put a tablespoon of pesto in the center, spread it a little without breaking the dough, and put a piece of cheese on top.
- Cover with another piece of dough, joining the edges well and taking care that the filling does not escape.
- Turn on the skillet or grill, brush it with olive oil and add the bread.
- Cook slowly over low heat until the dough is dry and the loaves are golden brown.
- Repeat on both sides, allowing time for the dough to cook well.
- Eat right away.
Keywords: cheese naan