- 1 ½ cups 340g unsalted butter, room tº
- 3 cups 600g sugar
- 5 large eggs (at room tº)
- 3 cups 400g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 3 Tbs brandy or cognac
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 or 2 Tbs cognac
- Preheat oven to 350º F /180ºC.
- Butter or spray a large bundt cake pan.
- Coat the entire surface with dry breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- In a large bowl beat butter until creamy and slowly add sugar, beating for 2 or 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add orange zest, brandy or cognac, and vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking soda together in a small bowl (I do this directly over the butter mixture).
- Add dry ingredients in three additions alternating with milk in two additions. Don't overbeat.
- Transfer 1 cup of this mixture to a small bowl and mix into it the sifted cocoa. Gently mix until well incorporated.
- Add half the orange batter to the pan, spreading evenly. Drop half the cocoa mixture over it, and swirl a few times with a knife. Repeat with remaining batters.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a tester inserted comes clean.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool. Unmold onto serving platter and glaze.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl mix powdered sugar with cognac until very smooth.
- Pour over cooled cake and let drip down the sides.