I use both cake and all-purpose flour for texture, but all-purpose flour works well.
For the dough:
- 3/4 cup 190ml buttermilk (or milk + 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, it will curdle)
- 6 Tbs 90g unsalted butter, melted and lukewarm
- 3 eggs (room tº)
- 2 1/4 cups 310g cake flour
- 2 1/4 cups 310g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 50g sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
For the filling:
- 1 cup 225g unsalted butter, room tº
- 1 cup 200g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest o 2 oranges
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbs orange juice
- If you’re using milk and lemon juice, mix in a medium bowl and let curdle about 5 minutes.
- Add both flours, sugar, and yeast to the bowl of a mixer.
- Add milk, eggs, butter, and salt.
- Mix on medium speed for about 10 minutes. A dough will form but it will not separate completely from the bowl, it will be barely sticky.
- If it’s too sticky add a few Tbs flour, one at a time, but not too many.
- Transfer this dough to an oiled bowl, turn over, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rise in a draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Gently turn the dough onto a clean counter and pat into a rectangle, about 16x12-inches, the long side parallel to the counter.
- Have the filling ingredients ready.
- Pat mounds of butter all over the dough. Gently spread it to cover the entire surface.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, and zest. Add it on top of the butter.
- Lift the longest edge closer to you, from one end to the other, and keep rolling, trying to tighten it as you do.
- Cut in half, then each piece in half again, and each of those fourths in three rolls.
- Place in a greased 9x13-inch pan, cover with a clean towel and let rise for 1 hour or a bit more until puffed.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and puffed, and baked through.
- Prepare glaze by mixing sugar and juice until smooth.
- Drizzle over warm rolls before eating.
- Can be wrapped in plastic and foil and frozen up to a month. Let thaw at room temperature. Reheat a few minutes before eating.