- 2 2/3 cups cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 2/3 cup butter (at room tº)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup rum
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Grease a 10-inch (28cm) tube pan.
- Sift together first 5 ingredients twice. Set aside.
- Cream butter in large bowl until fluffy. Sprinkle sugar over butter and beat well.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in orange zest.
- Add flour mixture to butter in three times alternating with orange juice and rum. Blend well.
- Stir in almond and vanilla extracts. Beat whites until stiff and gently fold into batter in two additions.
- Turn batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes; loosen edges with knife. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
from The Joy of Baking, by Barbara Grunes