- 2 pounds (950g) fresh peaches
- 1 medium red onion (or white)
- 1 green or red apple
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 cardamom pods, ground
- ¼ teaspoon aniseed
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper pods
- 1 small dried whole red chile
- 1 ¼ cups (300g) white vinegar
- 1 pound (455g) light brown sugar
- Peel, core and chop the peaches and the apple.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Put them in a large saucepan together.
- Add sugar, vinegar and spices and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat until the mixture is simmering.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the liquid is reduced and the mixture is of a marmalade consistency.
- Let cool and keep refrigerated.
- If not using immediately store in sterilized jars while still hot. Don’t forget to label them.
Half recipe: you can easily make half the recipe. Take into account that it will take less time to thicken, about 20 minutes, so finely chop everything to make sure it softens as it should.
Spices: as I mention in the post, adapt to your own taste.
Keywords: peach chutney