This is the perfect banana bread. Moist, sweet, very easy to make, and you don't even have to wait for bananas to ripen!
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (115g) butter, room tº
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (about 3 medium-large bananas) roasted and mashed
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Drops of vanilla extract
- Extra sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Grease one 11x4-inch (27x9cm) loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Place unpeeled bananas on a baking tray and roast until the skin turns completely dark and the inside is lightly soft to the touch. Let cool and mash.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add bananas, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate and cool completely before slicing.
- Store, covered, at room tº, for 3 days. If the room is too warm I suggest keeping it in the fridge after the second day.
Tips & tricks for making this recipe.
- Bananas: roasting them means you can use very firm or even greenish bananas and the flavor will be amazing.
- Add-ons: chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, white chocolate chips... a half cup of any or a mix of these and you have a fabulous flavored roasted banana bread.
- Oil: use oil instead of butter. The same volume, that is half a cup. Coconut is my favorite, but I've used sunflower, canola, and even olive oil.
- Keeping: as with most banana bread recipes, it tastes much better a day (or two) after it's baked. It freezes well, well wrapped. Defrost at room t°, unwrapped. I recommend warming it or toasting it before eating.
Keywords: roasted banana bread, banana bread