An easy to make, healthy appetizer.
- 1/4 pound (1/2 kg) carrots
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, with skin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy sauce (I use homemade harissa, but Sriracha, Tabasco, chipotle in adobo are also good)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whipping or double cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup Black olives, to serve
- 2-3 tablespoons Feta cheese, to serve (I use goat)
- Crackers, to serve
- Preheat oven at 350°F 180°C.
- Wash, dry and slice carrots.
- Put in an oven pan together with garlic clove, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and roast for about 40-45 minutes, until very soft.
- Process carrots, garlic clove (squeeze the soft meat out of the skin), salt and pepper to taste, honey, harissa, cumin, vinegar and a few tablespoons of olive oil until almost smooth.
- Add cream and process until as smooth as you want.
- Check seasonings and adjust to your taste.
- Put in a bowl, top with crumbled feta cheese, parsley, black olives and serve with crackers.
- Adjust to your own taste by increasing or decreasing ingredients like honey or spicy sauce.
- Storing: it keeps well for several days in the refrigerator.
Keywords: carrot dip