Very easy to make and super flavorful, these potato wedges are baked and sprinkled with a spicy rub!
For the spice mix:
- 1/3 cup medium coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic (you can use minced fresh garlic, but sprinkle before serving it and don't add it to the jar if you're keeping some spiced salt for later)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
For the potatoes:
- A few tablespoons olive oil
- A few tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 pounds medium potatoes, scrubbed and dried, with skin (see Notes below)
- Mix all ingredients for the spice mix in a jar.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF.
- Put aluminum foil in an oven tray (it makes it easier to clean up afterwards).
- Cut washed and dried potatoes in half, and then each half in thirds or fourths, depending on how big you want the wedges. Put them in a bowl.
- Add melted butter and oil to the potatoes and mix a bit to coat the wedges. Or do this directly in the aluminum paper, careful not to tear it.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until they are tender inside and golden outside.
- Add a few tablespoons of the spice mixture and return to the oven for 5 more minutes, until they are crunchy and golden.
- Serve immediately with more spice salt if you want to.
Potatoes: use potatoes that are similar in size so the wedges bake uniformly. What you want to look for is them being roughly the same height. I use russett because they are creamy, hold their shape well and are easily available, but any type of potato you like for making fries will work.
Spices: don't be put off by the number of spices in this wonderful mix! It can be adjusted to what your preference is. For example, don't use the seeds if you don't have them, or another spice that might not be your jam. Take it as a guide.
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 4389.7 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 7.6 mg
Keywords: spicy potatoes, spicy potato wedges