There is no better way to get into summer mood than with glasses of strawberry and passion fruit caipirinha! Fresh and easy to make, it's perfect for long days and sunsets. And it looks like one too!
- ½ cup fresh, hulled strawberries, cut into chunks
- 5 or 6 Tbs sugar (or simple syrup, see notes below)
- ½ cup passion fruit juice (with or without pulp, your choice)
- 40z. Cachaça (about)
- Cocktail straws and napkins, to serve
- To get passion fruit juice, simply sieve it through a strainer. The type of holes in it will determine whether some pulp goes through or not.
- Divide strawberries and sugar between two glasses. Add half the sugar and, with a muddler, start crushing the fruit with the sugar, until it becomes syrupy. Do this slowly and take your time. It's the base of the drink.
- Add ice to almost fill the glass, and then pour half of the passion fruit juice into on top of the ice.
- Add about 2 oz. vodka to each glass.
- Stir until it mixes well, decorate with a strawberry half and serve.
- Ice: I use regular ice from my home freezer. But if you have access to more professional larger ice cubes so much the better. They last more so the drink takes longer to water down.
- Glasses: use glasses that can hold everything and have a flat base. You need it to muddle without breaking it. Don't use martini glasses for example.
- Fruit: you can use other fruit, but this combination is the bomb! And be careful not to add too much. Test it with one drink. You should taste both the fruits and the liquor. If you use too much fruit you won't have enough space for the ice and the balance will not be right.
- Personal taste: adjust sugar, ice, and cachaca to your taste. And use that ratio as a guide no matter what fruit you use.
- Sweetener: you can use simple syrup instead of the sugar. To make it simply heat the same amount of sugar and water (1/2 a cup of each for example), and when it comes to a boil remove it from the heat. Let cool completely and keep refrigerated.
Keywords: strawberry caipirinha, strawberry cocktail