This dessert is as delicious as it is stunning! Who doesn't love simple icebox cakes for warm weather? Strawberries, cream, and dulce de leche come together in this unforgettable recipe. It's SO ridiculously easy (only 5 ingredients!) to put together and such a crowd-pleaser, you might as well stand up for the applause.
*Prep time doesn't include refrigeration time. Take that into account.
- 1 pound (450g) fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (240g) cream (whipping, heavy or double)
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 24 plain vanilla cookies or wafers (170g or 6oz)
- 1 1/2 cups (450g) dulce de leche
- Have ready an 8 or 9-inch glass or ceramic dish.
- In a bowl beat cold cream with powdered sugar until medium peaks form. If making ahead reserve, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Wash, dry, stem, and dice 2/3 of the total amount of strawberries. Reserve.
- Put a thin layer of cream in the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of cookies, covering the bottom completely.
- Top with half the amount of remaining cream, spreading evenly.
- Now add the diced strawberries covering completely.
- Top them with the rest of the cookies.
- Add a layer of dulce de leche, using the total amount. You might need to be careful when spreading depending on the consistency as some are thicker than others.
- Top the dulce de leche with the rest of the cream.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Before serving, top with fresh strawberries.
- Serve cold.
- Keep covered in the refrigerator.
Make-ahead: I suggest making it 2 hours before serving so you give it time to come together in the fridge. It does last 1-2 days refrigerated, but the cookies soften a bit more every hour and the strawberries release more juice.
Sweetness: you can add 1-2 extra tablespoons of powdered sugar to the cream before whipping, but take into account that dulce de leche is very sweet.
Keywords: strawberry icebox cake