A delicious shortbread cookie filled with gooey dulce de leche and coated in white chocolate. Scrumptious and festive!
- ½ recipe Brown Butter Shortbread (recipe here)
- 2 cups dulce de leche
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs milk
- 6 oz. white chocolate (melted and warm)
To make shortbread bases:
- Roll the dough and use a small round cookie cutter. Let cool completely.
For the filling:
- Put the dulce de leche in a medium saucepan and heat over low heat.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch and milk.
- When the dulce de leche starts to become more liquid, add the cornstarch slowly while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, while you stir constantly.
- Boil for 3 or 4 minutes, being careful it doesn't burn in the bottom of the pan.
- Let cool completely and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When the filling is cold, put it in a piping bag with a wide plain tip, and make cones on top of each shortbread round.
- Start in the middle with the bag perpendicular to the base, and squeeze constantly while you slowly lift the piping bag until you reach the desired height.
- Freeze cones for half an hour.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of hot water. Keep warm.
- Have ready mini chocolate chips or whatever you want to use for the eyes.
- Take the cones from the freezer and roll them in the white chocolate so that each one is completely coated.
- Press the chips before it dries and put on a wire rack.
Variation: use chocolate cookies (homemade or store bought) and dark or white chocolate.
Keywords: dulce de leche cones, ghosts, shortbread dulce de leche cones