The quantities are a guide, as this recipe can be easily adapted to your preference. Add more or less of any ingredient.
- 2 limes, sliced
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, optional
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 3-4 cups fresh water
- 1-2 tablespoons simple syrup or honey, optional
For the simple syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Two ways of making this flavored water. In both cases, place thin lime or cucumber slices with mint leaves in the glasses before serving. If you like it unsweetened, omit the syrup.
Infuse the ingredients first:
- Add lime and cucumber slices to a jar (I use a large measuring jar)
- Fill with fresh water to about 2 inches over the ingredient line.
- Stir and refrigerate for 1 hour. Check the flavor and infuse longer if desired. The flavor must be strong as it will be diluted when the rest of the water is added.
- Strain into a large pitcher.
- Add ice, fresh cucumber and lime slices.
- Sweeten according to your taste, and add some mint leaves if desired.
Make a quick cucumber lime water:
- Add ice and water in a large pitcher, leaving 2-3 inches of space at the top.
- Add lime and cucumber slices and mint leaves, if desired.
- Stir and serve immediately. It will have little flavor initially and intensify as the hours go by.
For the simple syrup:
You can choose not to sweeten it at all and omit this syrup.
- Put sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir to dissolve.
- Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool before using.
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight jar. It lasts indefinitely.
- How to choose cucumbers: look for firm ones that slightly give when pressed with smooth skin, no blemishes, or rough or yellow patches.
- Peeling cucumbers: Not necessarily, but it's a matter of personal preference. Wash them well and slice. The peel or skin contains additional nutrients and adds texture to the water. However, if you prefer a smoother drink or are concerned about any bitterness that it might have, peel it before slicing. It's entirely up to you and your desired taste and texture for your cucumber water.
- Storage: cucumber lime water is best consumed within 24 hours for optimal flavor and freshness. After that time, the flavors may weaken, and the water might lose some crispness. It's recommended to store the infused water in the refrigerator to maintain its quality. If you notice any changes in taste or smell, or if the water becomes cloudy, it's a sign that it's no longer fresh and should be discarded.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: cucumber lime water, agua fresca